FISHING DERBY UPDATE
May 23, 2022
To: All Members of Local 867
To all members attending the annual fishing derby,
The Game and fish has been in contact with big whiteshell lake lodge, whiteshell lake resort, Manitoba conservation, and the fishing derby isSTILL ON.
– The province closed hwy 309 into big whiteshell yesterday to all but local traffic. We have confirmation from Manitoba Conservation that they are considering anyone attending the WFD fishing derby to be local traffic and you are permitted to use hwy309 using caution.
– The boat launch at the south shore campground is closed.
– The boat launch at the North Shore (Big Whiteshell Lodge) is open.
– Liberty at the South Shore (Whiteshell lake resort) has kindly offered anyone attending the fishing derby to use their boat launch at no cost. She has asked that all members be respectful and mindful of the property and her patrons while you are doing so. She also asked that anyone using the launch that is not staying at her resort please remove you trailers and vehicle as soon as you are done launching or loading.
– Liberty at Whiteshell lake resort still has a couple of available cabins for anyone requiring a place or that have been displaced due to high water. (Whiteshell lake resort (204) 348-7627)
– The province has some special boating regulations in place for Big Whiteshell lake including a no wake within 100ft of the shoreline to help preserve property and prevent further erosion. A full list of regulations can be found on the Manitoba parks website to be sure you are operating your water craft within the rules. (www. gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/)
– Last but not least, I received a report today that fishing is good in the river!!